Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Immuno Treatment 1 - Angeles National Forest

Good news!

I passed the first big step in qualifying for the trial. The results from the sponsor were positive; my cancer cells highly expressed (95%) the NY-ESO-1 gene. The next steps would be to meet the additional inclusion criteria, and then sign the consent form.


This time around, I flew to Los Angeles by myself. As much as I love having my Mom with me, getting time off from work was hard for her, and we both knew that it would be a long road ahead. Besides, I was in good hands because my bestie Jamie lives there.

Double Trouble.

Good Old Days.

Jamie's Mom babysat me, my sister, and my brother when we were young, and we all basically grew up together. We lived in the same small town, and went to the same elementary, middle, and high school. Our friendship strengthen during college, and fortified after we both experienced great loss and illness. She's one of the most generous and compassionate people I know, and anyone would be lucky to have her in their life.

Los Angeles is a big city. It's over 500 square miles. As fate would have it, Jamie's house was located close to the imaging centers, blood research facilities, and the Sarcoma Oncology Center. If I was really ambitious, I could even walk there. Most of the people in Los Angeles have to drive to get anywhere.


No one told me how much I needed to get done before enrolling into a clinical trial. I ended up having to stay in Los Angeles for a week for scans, blood draws, and doctor appointments. 

Additionally, remember how I had severe gallbladder issues a few months back, and scheduled elective surgery to remove it? Well, if I proceeded with the surgery, it would delay my treatment by four weeks.

I was very stressed and overwhelmed with everything already going on, and making the last minute decision to cancel my surgery in order to address the cancer first did not help.

Not your time yet. 

After a whirlwind of a week, and meeting all the additional inclusion criteria, I finally signed the 21-page consent form. On the day of treatment, I was randomized to the Atezolizumab and CMB305 (LV305, G305) protocol. I had prayed to receive the treatment that would hit the cancer with both drugs, and as luck would have it, somebody up there was listening.


The immunotherapy itself ended up being a piece of cake. The injections and IV only took a few hours, and the side effects were minimal that I actually flew home the same day!

Easy peasy lemon squeezy. 

Thank you Jamie for introducing me to your friends, and for taking such wonderful care of me. Enjoy my mini adventure with my new LA buddies, Eugene and Kristina!

Angeles National Forest - Switzer Falls
(4.5 miles; 650 feet elevation; 2-3 hours)

Switzer Falls is one of the best known and easily accessible waterfall hikes in Los Angeles County.  The waterfall is a series of several drops, and consists of an upper waterfall (10 feet), a main drop (50 feet), and a lower waterfall (25-30 feet). 

Getting up close and personal with the Arroyo Seco.

The trail follows the creek down into a wooded canyon.

Trying my best to not get my feet wet. 

Heading up those switchbacks. 

We're getting close. 

Enjoying the small pools and cascades of the Lower Switzer Falls. 

In order to reach the main waterfall, you had to scramble alongside a very steep and narrow use trail along the canyon wall to the right side of Arroyo Seco. 

We decided to turn around at this point for safety reasons, but if you continue down the stream scramble, you'll reach the 50 feet drop of the main tier of Switzer Falls. 

Monkeying around. 

Views of the surrounding peaks and canyons below.

Goodnight LA! 

No comments:

Post a Comment