Saturday, May 19, 2012

Welcome!

First and foremost, thank you very much for visiting my blog. This is my first time doing this, so please bear with me.

My name is Vy Nguyen, and I'm a 26 year old female living in California. I finished my undergraduate studies at UC Santa Barbara, and my graduate studies at Drexel University.

I was diagnosed with a rare form of cancer, monophasic synovial sarcoma on February 14, 2011 (yes, Valentine's Day). The plan was to undergo neoadjuvant treatment before surgery, and finish with additional radiation, and chemotherapy. However, I was unable to complete all of my post-operative treatments because I became severely neutropenic, and had septic shock. If you need living proof that miracles exist, me being alive is it.

Not too long after my time in the ICU, I discovered that the cancer has metasized to my lungs, and that I'll need to undergo chemotherapy treatment all over again. Hopefully, this time around will be much better than the last. Despite everything that has happened, I'm very grateful for my wonderful family, boyfriend, and friends.

I started this blog to document the changes of my taste buds as I undergo chemotherapy treatment. It's not meant to be a serious blog about my cancer, but it may change. Whatever I do end up discussing, I'll always try my best to keep it lighthearted and fun because laughing is better than the alternative. 

6 comments: