Saturday, May 26, 2012

Goodbye Hair

For the past several days, I've experienced the worst side effects of chemo. Chunks of my hair have fallen out, and my scalp has been very itchy and extremely tender. The only thing that temporary alleviates this pain is oxycontin, which I'm sure the doctors do not approve of. .

The reason that this is happening is because the drug targets both cancer cells & healthy cells. The hair follicles are destroyed, and are unable to divide as normal to produce hair cells. As the hair continues to fall out, the scalp is less protected from environmental factors, further irritating the skin. Not all individuals who undergo chemo necessarily lose their hair, and it depends on the type and dose given. I just happen to be one of the lucky ones.

Due to the excessive annoyance of having my hair fall out and the severe scalp pain, I bit the bullet and had my wonderful barber (my sister) shave it all off. I'm glad that I ended up doing it because my head definitely feels much better now. It does make me sad not having hair, but since I've been through this before, it's not as devastating or traumatic. Plus, I know that this is temporary, and that my hair will grow back in full force. I already brought out my wigs, hats, and bandannas, so despite not having hair, I'll still be looking super chic this summer.

On that note, I'd like to wish everyone a Happy Memorial Day Weekend! Thank you to all the men and women who are serving or have served in the armed forces. It is because of your sacrifices that I am able to enjoy our freedoms that is unparalleled to anywhere else in the world.

I decided to have some fun and had my sister give me a mohawk. She did a great job! 

3 comments: