Saturday, June 9, 2012

Cycle 2 - Carb Loading

I finished my 2nd cycle of chemo, and I'm now back at home. A cycle consists of 1 week in the hospital for my chemo treatment and 2 weeks at home resting. In total, I'll have 6 cycles. During this stay, the combination of all the stress and side effects of the medications on my body caused me to have low blood pressure, and I fainted in the shower.

In all honesty, I never thought that something like that would happen. This seems to be a recurring theme. Even though I knew to watch out for lightheadedness, and blurred/gray out vision, by the time I realized what was happening, it was already too late. It was a really scary experience, and the last thought I had was I need to unlock the bathroom door so that someone can find me. Thank goodness I was able to do that, and that someone did.

Considering what happened, I came out pretty lucky. I only had a few stitches on my chin and a bump on my head, and nothing more serious. I suppose me being unlucky and lucky goes hand in hand. In addition to the battle scars, I received the fancy yellow "fall risk" bracelet and socks and was confined to the bed for the rest of my hospital stay. I'm hoping that the 3rd cycle will be less exciting than the last one. I need some boring in my life.

On another note, I've really enjoyed eating toasted bread lately. I've found that it makes a good pairing with many foods such as peanut butter, eggs, and deli meats. With my lack of appetite, increasing my nutritional intake any way I can is a good thing. Plus, it seems to keep my nausea at bay and my tummy happy.


Bruschetta with Gorgonzola Cheese & Honey (Courtesy of Giada De Laurentiis)
  • 1 loaf baguette bread 
  • 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil 
  • 8 ounces Gorgonzola 
  • 3 tablespoons honey 
Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. 
  2. Slice baguette into 1/2-inch thick diagonal slices. 
  3. Brush bread with olive oil. Arrange on sheet pan in a single layer. 
  4. Bake approximately 10 minutes until golden brown and crisp. 
  5. Remove from oven and place cheese on toast. Bake for additional 3 minutes or until cheese is melted. 
  6. Drizzle toast with honey. Serve immediately. 

No comments:

Post a Comment